speed reading >
Some of the things that reduce reading rate
Reading rate will reduce the next facts:
- Word-by-word reading.
- Expand time of reading each block, and expands the number of times
the eyes skip back to a previous sentence.
- Slowness of recognition and response to the material. Slow perceptual
including the need to vocalize in order to achieve comprehension.
- Faulty eye movements, including inaccuracy in placement of the page,
in return sweep, in rhythm and regularity of movement. Regression, both habitual
and as associated with habits of concentration.
- Slow reading habit, in which the person cannot read faster
because he has always read slowly.
- Faulty habits of attention and concentration, beginning with simple inattention
during the reading act and faulty processes of retention.
- Lack of practice in reading, due simply to the fact that the person has
read very little and has limited reading interests so that very little reading
is practiced in the daily or weekly schedule.
- Fear of losing comprehension, causing the person to suppress his rate deliberately
in the firm belief that comprehension is improved if he spends more time on
the individual words.
- Poor evaluation of which aspects are important and which are unimportant.
- The effort to remember everything rather than to remember selectively.
Since these conditions act also to reduce comprehension increasing the reading
rate through eliminating them is likely to result in increased comprehension as
well. This is an entirely different matter from simply speeding up the rate of reading
without reference to the conditions responsible for the slow rate.
In fact, simply speeding the rate especially through forced acceleration, may
actually result, and often does, in making the real reading problem
more severe. In addition, forced acceleration may even destroy confidence in ability
to read. The obvious solution then is to increase rate as a part of a total improvement
of the whole reading process. This is a function of special training programs in
Tips for increasing reading rate (speed
The eyes moves across the page make a series of jump movements. When the eyes
stop on a word that is called a fixation. Most people make one eyes fixation on
each word. In order to increase speed of reading man must take in more words with
each fixation, rather than make our eyes move faster. Look at groups of words.
Try to skip focusing on every word.
- Work on vocabulary improvement. Familiarize yourself with new words so you
don't get stuck on them when you read them again.
- If you find yourself moving your lips when reading, force yourself to read
faster by following. You can no longer move your lips.
- Read more! 15 minutes a day of reading an average size novel equals 18 books
a year at an average reading speed!
- Determine your purpose before reading. If you only need main ideas, then
allow yourself to skim the material. Don't read every word.
- Spend a few minutes a day reading at a faster than comfortable rate (about
2 to 3 times faster than your normal speed). Use your hand or an index card
to guide your eyes down the page. Then time yourself reading a few pages at
your normal speed. You'll find that often your normal reading speed will increase
after your skimming practice.
- If you have poor concentration when reading, practice reading for only 5
- 10 minutes at a time and gradually increase this time.
- There are several books on increasing reading speed available in most bookstores.
If you are serious about increasing your rate you may want to work systematically
through one of these books.
You may want to increase your reading speed so that you can cope with the heavy
reading load. This advice sheet suggests some of the ways that can help you read
Also you can use free speed reading
software for increasing reading rate.
Do you need to constantly practice the speed reading technique?
No. You simply apply the technique in your daily reading. You cannot lose the
skill once you have mastered it.