speed reading >
Speed reading books
Efficient reading involves both speed and comprehension. Most readers sacrifice
one for the other. They reason incorrectly that one must read quickly without retaining
information or slowly in order to retain the information. This is false reasoning.
Slow reading is inefficient. Fast reading is efficient. All academic fields involve
reading. If you can read well, you can overcome deficiencies in the background and
also in your teachers’ backgrounds. No one with ability need be at a loss for information
if he or she has access to books. Reading is the most valuable skill you can master.
With mastery comes the assurance that you can succeed in school.
In reading books, there are several stages. Have you gone far enough to achieve
my purpose? Go on steps:
- Note who the author is, and the date of publication.
- Read preface and table of contents.
- Look at the diagrams and pictures.
- Skim the first and last chapters. This may give you all the information
- Read the first and last chapters and skim the intervening chapters.
- Go into the glossary, index as needed.
In order to talk about reading, you need to be able to distinguish between types
of reading and then fit your reading style to suit the needs of the material. There
are five types of critical reading:
- Skimming reading: for searching out specific items or familiarizing yourself
with a large section preparatory to close reading.
- Audible reading: for appreciating poetry and drama.
- Close reading: for mastering information
- Exploratory reading: for gaining acquaintance with information.
- Review reading: for refreshing the memory
Skimming and selective reading are speedy and efficient techniques for getting
what you need. Many people think it is cheating not to read every word in a book.
You are cheating yourself when you waste time reading material not essential to
Do you need Speed reading skills?
I worked for a woman once who said she mastered speed reading in school but that
it ruined her forever. She's now unable to fully enjoy a leisurely novel because
she speed reads!